Wednesday 20 February 2008

Meeting old friends..the Ektar Vihar crowd!

Went back to Ektar Vihar this afternoon. This is the slum I worked in when I came out with the Tearfund Transform team at Easter 2005. As this is my 4th visit to India, I have been able to make brief visits to see them each time and catch up with some of the families and particularly the girls. It was so exciting to see Reena again, she was only 16 when I first met her. She is now a mother witha 9 month old son called Ashish which means blessing. She presented him to Dick and I and said "Grandmother, Grandfather"....she sees us as her "English parents". It was good to hear she had received my letters and that one of the Asha staff had read them to her. We had bought her mother in law a box of biscuits, some soap for Reena and T shirts for Ashish...now I have an excuse to visit Mothercare!
Neha, one of "my other girls" has recently got married, she must be about 17 now. She always has someone's baby on hip..soon she'll have her own baby I expect.
Usha (who is also Reena's sister in law) is 16 and is getting married next month! She was a child when I first came out...I couldn't believe the transformation. Dick and I were invited to her wedding on the 27th....
Nick had great time seeing the crowd of kids and teens who remembered him. He has been playing football with the kids quite a bit...some times in barefeet....

No comments: