Thursday 21 February 2008

My Newest Friends...

We have finished the painting at last!



It really came together at the end and everyone seems very happy with the work. As we were coming to a close yesterday we were joined by little Vishal. Although I had met him and a million others before, hand shakes and broken English greetings had soon become very superficial and I was struggling to interact with them. So I gave him a paintbrush and got him doing some seaweed. He quickly showed that he was making the work his own by changing the shapes and colours so I drew him a fish to paint. He competed this quickly and I congratulated him on his fine handy work with many smiles and thumbs up and returned to my section. I turned back to see the most delightful smile splashed across the fish's' face. We both laughed at how wonderful it was.

I also had the opportunity to talk to some lads my age. The were very friendly and we discussed the UK and India, their hopes, the water shortage, what I do etc. I talked a little too much about my life since one said that he was a very unlucky person. However he said this with a smile and as we continued talking he really showed incredible wisdom towards money. He said that the rich have a tension in their life of always wanting more yet the poor can be happy. Now of course he disliked the water shortages and dreams of being a lawyer to better himself; nobody would live in his slum out of anything but necessity, yet he had this real understanding that impressed me so much. I hope he fulfills his dreams. This is also why Asha is so impressive: they give the poor a hand to pull themselves out of their situation, not just throwing cash at them. Money without wisdom is useless.

Two days ago I had met Vishal's brother Eclob. Eclob and I had really hit it off as I showed him my family photos. Today I was humbled again as he gave me a tungi. This is a ball of loose rubber that the boys play keep ups with. It is made from bike inner tubes and is a very simple thing but I have it now in my pocket with the clear instruction to give my brother Chris a go. (Krish as they say, my name is 'eh'shteve) Although I know it is always the case I can't help but be astounded that a child as poor as him be so generous?! I have had the great privilege this week to make some wonderful new friends.

No comments: